Sticker Chart

I've found a way that really motivates Ryan. I don't know how it was that it occurred to me, but he really wanted a specific toy not too long after Christmas and I thought to myself, no he is not getting a toy without having first earned it. So, I made him a sticker chart and the first one was a bust. He didn't follow through with anything and so I let it go. No toy. The second time around though, I was really good about praising him and giving him his stickers when he did what was asked of him.
On the first one, he earned stickers for
1. Being cooperative with Mommy in the morning. (He has to get up at 6:40 am at the latest so we can make it out of the door on time)
2. Picking up his own toys.
3. Being cooperative at bedtime, staying in his bed when told to go to bed.
He really wanted a Care bear for this sticker chart, but when we went to the Wal Mart, because this is the only store we shop at, they did not have it. He got a cool interchangeable Wolverine car. Then he really got the whole idea of the sticker chart and he's done a great job with them ever since. He loves getting stickers, and when he's done he gets a reward or prize.
Most recently, after we moved into our new house he was having a hard time wetting the bed at night. I was really tired of 6am baths and a new load of laundry every single day, so I bought some more pull-ups. He hated them. But he was a really good sport about it. I let him do a sticker chart. When he had 7 dry pull-ups then I let him go back to underwear. He's done a great job.
I already know what our goal for the next sticker chart is going to be.
PS: Sticker charts work well with fifth graders too. But I'm mean and I call them "behavioral contracts". Currently, only one of my fifth graders in on a behavioral contract.
PSS: Being on a behavioral contract is not a good thing, but sticker charts are great!
Comments