Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze

I've had a subscription to Cooking Light for about two years now and I've never tried a recipe out of it, until this week. I saw this one (on pg. 136 of the September issue) and had to try it. If the pictures make you drool, you can use the recipe listed at the bottom. I've shortened some of the directions slightly but it will turn out, I promise. This tasted just as beautifully as it looks.




Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup plain low- fat yogurt (I used vanilla flavored so I didn't have to buy a huge container of plain)
3 tablespoons dark rum (I used apple juice and it turned out fine)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 tablespoon coconut for top of bread
spray pan with cooking spray

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice (I used lemon)

Directions:
1. preheat oven to 350
2. combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, stir with wire whisk
3. Place sugar and butter in large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended.
Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.
Stir in 1/2 cup flaked coconut.
4. Spoon batter into a 9X5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut.
5. Bake at 350 for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan.
7. Combine with wire whisk powdered sugar and juice until smooth; drizzle over warm bread. (I think if you left out the glaze you could cut down on the carbs)
8. Cool completely on wire rack.
Yield 1 loaf, 16 slices (serving size 1 slice)

Calories: 193
Fat 4.6 g
Carbs 35g
Fiber 1.1 g
Chol. 35 mg
Iron 1 mg
Sodium 179mg
Calc 15mg

Comments

Teresa said…
Looks really yummy! I'll have to try it out, except Ricky isn't a big coconut fan, so I might have to eat it all!
Teresa

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival

Evan's 10th Birthday!