A Day in the Life of a Type 1 Diabetic

The following is a series of posts I've created to document one day in my life with diabetes. I hope that you will find them interesting. I’ve enjoyed putting this together and I want to thank my husband, Colin for helping me take these pictures throughout the day. Diabetes is such a huge part of my life, and I guess I just want to share some images and words with you so that you can maybe realize the impact that it has on me each day. I was diagnosed with diabetes in April of 2001, nearly 6 years ago. It has been a struggle at times, and at other times it has been a blessing. I think I’ve become more aware of my eating and exercising habits because of the disease. I’ve also probably become a little more stressed out and perhaps more obsessive-compulsive about other aspects of my life because diabetes is something that is so difficult to control. I am not mad that I have diabetes, but some days I wish I could take a diabetes vacation. The star of most of the images that will follow is my mini med 508. I love my insulin pump and would suggest all type 1 diabetics get the pump. Anyway, I could talk about diabetes all day, but I’ll just let the blog do it for me. I hope you will enjoy it, and I hope that you’ll leave a comment telling me what you thing about it. Also, if you know someone who may like to read this, please feel free to forward them the link.

Thanks!

Jen



The first thing I do each morning is take out my meter and test my blood sugar. This sort of sets the tone for my day, but I try not to let it bother me if I am off. There was a time when all of my morning tests were very high. I had the dawn phenomenon, but the pump has helped me cure this, and I wake up with much more regular or normal blood sugars.
I have to gently squeeze my finger to get the blood to come out. My hands are shaky and taking pictures is difficult so I know my reading will be low.

I put the drop of blood in the top of the test strip and it will read my blood sugar in 5 seconds time.


Normal blood sugar levels are between 80 and 120 points. This is the amount of glucose in miligrams per deciliter. Low blood sugars, like this one, are the absolute worst part about having diabetes. I hate the way they feel. To explain it to a non-diabetic, would be hard, but I guess if you have ever gone without food for an extended period of time, and you get toward the end where you feel weak, shaky, confused, and tired, it's like that for me. I can't think straight, I get angry, my hands shake, sometimes my tounge goes numb... lots of symptoms can happen. Some people pass-out, others act like they are drunk. This is 2 cups of fruit loops, about 56 grams of carbohydrates. I take 1 unit of insulin for every 7 carbohydrate gram. Because my blood sugar is low, I can take one less unit to help bring my sugar back into normal range.

To give myself a dose of insulin or bolus for a meal, I have to push the select button. I then have three different types of bolusing optioions, I choose normal then dial up the amount of necessary insulin.
9.0 units for breakfast.

Taking off the pump for my shower. I just leave it on the counter and re-connect as soon as I am done bathing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love it! I read the whole thing and it's very cool. Good for you for putting it together and keep up the great work!!
Anonymous said…
Way to go Jen...That is crazy...didn't realize so much went into keep track of your diabetes. I will check back often.
Becky J. said…
This was so interesting, Jen! I have 2 cousins who have diabetes and both use pumps, too, and love them. I had no idea it took so much time and effort to manage it. I think it was really neat that you put this together. Oh, and I do DDR to exercise, too!

Becky

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival