Thou Shalt Not Envy

One of my favorite things to do is drive around looking at houses. These are a couple of houses that I see all the time and just love. I have been wanting to take pictures of them for a long time and especially wanted to get them in this season. I finally got around to it and it was completely the wrong time of day. The sun was directly behind the houses and just really got in the way of good pictures.

Anyway, I like this first house a lot, but the thing that I love most is in the second picture. This hanging sun in front of their house is so cool. I love the sun and I love how it is made out of some kind of metal and the way they have it hanging there. I've seen more homes do this lately but this is the first one that I noticed. And, like I said the lighting is bad so it's hard to see. I'd like to copy that someday.
I only had time to take one shot of this house, but it is absolutely gorgeous. Everyone that drives by it just goes ga-ga over it. The weird thing about this house is that after it was built it took them 2 years to put in the landscaping. There is a law now (at least in West Jordan) that says you have to have the landscaping done before you can move in. Anyway, they finally put in their yard and it is gorgeous too except that their pine trees all died this summer. I would take them back if I were them, but who knows. Hottest summer on record in Utah will do that to your new landscape I guess.
I took several shots of this next house. Whoever lives here are absolute perfectionists when it comes to their yard. They have a beautiful piece of property and it really puts the rest of the neighborhood to shame (there are some neighbors like that aren't there). Anyway, front, back, side, and from every angle, this house is impeccable. The flowers are all perennials, the lawn is always manicured, they have a beautiful garden and never have anything out of place. These pictures don't even come close to doing it justice, but anyway, here they are.






And just for fun, I thought I'd throw in a strange Utah phenomenon for all of you who read my blog that live out of the state. I first learned about this kind of house, called a "basement house" a few years after I moved here. They are all over in suburbia, you just have to know where to look. So, I guess the idea is that if you can't afford to build a house, you just build your basement first and throw a roof on it. Then, when you get the time and money, you build a top to your house. Funny thing is, in the 15 years that we've lived here, I've never seen these homes completed. They just sit there like this and these people live like moles or, (substitute your favorite subterranean animal) and never remodel. I think it is so strange.

Comments

joyous said…
That first house really is quite beautiful. I can see why you like it. That beautiful front yard reminds me of my grandparents' in Logan.

When my friend from home came to visit us in Utah (from California) she couldn't get over how much brick everyone used!! No one in CA uses brick b/c of earthquakes. She thought we were all nuts.

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival