Confessions of a Fan

So, as most of you know, a certain movie is coming out this week. I don't know what it is exactly about all of the trailers, and photos, and blogs, and websites, and all of the other hullabaloo, but I'm just very skeptical of this movie. I guess I just really don't understand why every single book that does well has to be made into a movie. I mean, can't we just enjoy literature for what it is? Every time I want to read a good book to my students, they all say, "we've seen that movie!" Arg!

I do plan on seeing the movie, but I'm just not getting my hopes up very high. I really think that the main character is TOTALLY mis-cast. She looks mad or frightened in EVERY SINGLE SCENE and that is so not how I pictured her. In fact, the author went out of her way to tell us that she isn't afraid. Did the actress not read that part???? From what I've seen the director has also taken some humongous liberties with the script and that's plain annoying.

I suppose I'll go into it knowing that the movie and the book are two separate pieces of art and try to enjoy each for its own beauty. (or whatever word you'd use in that sentence) I also know that it is one movie I can convince Colin to take me to. He's always asking questions about the book when I'm reading them. And while he won't actually read them himself, he will take me to the movie.

So, how about the rest of you? What are your opinions? Seeing the movie? Looking forward to it?

Uncle Stuart- pictures of the boys to be posted shortly. Be patient with me, busy week!

Comments

Abes and Stace said…
I completely agree with you on this. I read all 4 books in 6 days and LOVED them - but the movie trailers make me think it is just a low budget flick with a bad casting job. You should check out my blog on an older post - I had cast my own actors for the parts and think I should have been in charge for sure. You'll have to let me know what you think on those. :)
I am going to it on Friday with some friends, but I am keeping my expectations low.
Glad I'm not the only one . . .
Rachel said…
I for one am super-excited! I think it looks really good, and yes, my friend and I are going to see it on Thursday at midnight :) The only thing that bugs me in the trailer is the dorky sunglasses Edward wear as they cross the parking lot. I get mad every time I see them!
The McNews said…
Nothing could be more tragic than Eragon, lol. I am excited, but I think it's fairly separate from the book. I'm hoping they took all the fans into consideration who love what Stephanie envisioned and that they at least keep key things right. We'll see...no spoilers! I am not seeing it until Sat. ;)
joyous said…
I have to say, I have certainly had my misgivings about the movie. I have such pictures in my head that I don't want ruined. I also am not a huge fan of the casting, in general. That being said, every time I see a preview, I get chills! Seriously! So I am excited, but a little worried.
CollyWolly said…
Well it sounds like I'm not the only one being skeptical. I'm glad to know I'm not totally insane.
I'm going on Saturday morning with my mother and sister-in-law.
So, yes... I'll remain as spoiler free as I can- Having read the book!
Enjoy the show ladies.
Becky J. said…
I loved it! There are parts they should have included that they didn't, and nothing was as good as my imagination pictured it, but if you go in with low enough expectations like I did, you just might like it after all.
So, what did you think of the movie? I saw it Friday night. At first I didn't like it, but the more I think about it, I think I'll watch it again. Also, my friend noticed Stephanie Meyer in the cafe scene, but I didn't catch that. Anyway, I liked it. I definately liked the book more, but the movie was fine.

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival