2 nights, 2 sick kids

Both of my boys are sick with colds. Almost everyone I know has a sick kid right now. Has anyone gone to the doctor? Do I need to take my kids in? About how long is this thing lasting for everyone?
Here are the stories of the last two nights if you want to know all of the boring details of our lives:
E-
Night before last Evan was up most of the night with a bad cold. He couldn't breathe, he couldn't sleep and he was just miserable. He would settle down if I would hold him and as soon as I laid him down to rest he would scream. I settled down on the couch with him on my belly and that only lasted a little while. He wouldn't nurse so I resigned to letting him cry, even though he was sick because everything I tried hadn't worked. Well, by that time it had been quite a while and he fell asleep rather quickly. I stayed on the couch until he woke up 2 hours later at 2am. I nursed him then and he slept until colin got up at 5:45. He went to the babysitters and was cranky until after his morning nap (2.5 hours!). Last night I gave the boys a bath and gave E some cold medicine and Tylenol, wrapped him up and put him to bed. He slept 12 hours! The longest he has ever slept in his life.
Ry-
Ryan went to bed just fine last night so it was an easy bedtime for both boys. At about 1:30am however, Ryan woke up and said, "Mommy, I think I'm sick like Evan." I mumbled to Colin that there was cold medicine on the counter. He didn't hear me so I got up and gave Ry a dose, I think. I made him a little bed on our floor because he had crawled in with Daddy. He slept there all night and kept waking up coughing and congested.
I decided we would skip preschool today, glad I was off track (today is day #1 off) and did not have to worry about sub-plans or any of that mess. I am trying to get the boys to drink as much as possible. Ryan is congested but seems otherwise pretty well. Evan is fussy and clingy but he's always that way when I'm home. My big hope is that everyone is better by the end of the week. We've got places to be and people to see if you know what I mean... small people who can get sick easily.

I think I'd like to organize a big playdate with those who are interested. Let me know if you have any suggestions for a good place to take small children in the dead of winter.

Below are some pictures from this past weekend.


This picture is for you, Audra. What is it with kids and the vacuum?


I do most of the bathing of the boys. Whenever Colin helps out, he thinks they are so cute and usually requests a photo. I don't post many because of the"graphic" nature. But his one was decent I thought.

This, as you can see, is Evan trying to get the camera from me.
All weekend long I tried to get a picture of Evan standing up on his own. He's learned that new trick very recently and it is so cute. He gets kind of nervous though when he realizes that there isn't anything supporting him and he'll fall down on his bum.
So here is Evan playing in the dishwasher. Ryan used to do that too.



Comments

Unknown said…
We had that a while ago...it takes (what seems like) FOREVER to go away! I think ours lasted for at least a few weeks. NOT fun! I'm glad you're reading fitmepink, by the way! Sometime in the future, I'd like to possibly interview you about diabetes for it. Would you be willing/interested? Let me know!
Audra said…
Seriously! It makes vacuuming impossible!! They sure are cute though! I took Jacob to the doctor because he has had the pukes and the doctor said pretty much everyone is sick right now, so unless they get worse, I wouldn't worry about taking them to the doctor!
Abes and Stace said…
Ok I do think everyone is sick right now too. My kids have had it for the last week, but it never really got too bad to where I would even think of taking them to the Dr. As long as I don't think they have strep or croup, I don't take them because they can't do anything for it anyway.
The crappy thing with colds/coughs like this is that there is so much news about the dangers of children and cold meds. My Dr. said not to give any cold meds to my kids until they are 5 or older. It makes it harder when the kids get sick though thats for sure. Oh! have you ever tried the baby vicks? That works great for us. Just rub it on their chests and it helps a lot at night when they can't breathe. Combine it with a humidifier and WHALA!! :)
Anyway, our week of sickness is almost up and the kids seem better everyday. Hopefully yours will do the same so you don't spend your entire time off track taking care of sick little ones. Isn't that the way motherhood goes? :)
joyous said…
Major bummer about sick kids...especially when they don't sleep. :( I still give my kids the cold medicines, even though they're not recommended. I just feel better knowing that I tried SOMETHING!!! I hope everyone feels better soon.
lundparty said…
That stinks to have sick kids but I feel your pain. Brent had a bad cold and so did I, a really bad one. Long story short, I had acute sinusitis and Brent had an ear infection in both ears. But he had the cold for about 4 days or so before we started seeing symptoms of his ear infection. I think he had the cold first. Anyway, good luck and I'm sure it will all be over soon.
Lisa said…
I hate it when my kids are sick. I think what's worse is when I'm sick and so are they. It seems impossible to be sick when you're a mom! You never just get to lay down and rest. I hope the boys start feeling better soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival