Bees

Bees used to really scare me. For many years I said that I was allergic to them. I got stung once by a bee when I was a child and the infected area was really swollen. I guess that's why I said I was allergic. I'm not sure if its really a legitimate allergy or not.
In more recent years, I've become a little bit more interested in bees and honey-making. Reason being; I teach heredity to my fifth graders and one of the mini-units I teach is all about bees. We discuss what they do (inherited behaviors- instincts) and how they help the food-chain. Did you know that over 1/3 of every bite you eat is benefited by insect pollination? Anyway, I've done this unit for 7 years now and I feel like I know a lot about bees but have never really had any hands-on experience unless you count using glitter as "pollen" and making paper-flower-offspring! :) Anyway, Dad decided this year to take on a new hobby or project for the summer and fall. He got the idea of harvesting bees. I have no idea why or where he got the idea from, but I was really excited when he told me about it. So, I've been dying to check out the bees in their environment and all and on Memorial Day, we decided it would be a perfect time for me to come check them out.
I got there a little later than expected but still had a great time seeing the bees and what they were up to.
I can't wait to go back again sometime and maybe help feed them or give them their medicines.
Thanks Dad, your bees are awesome!





Me getting dressed in the hood and long-sleeved t-shirt and gloves.
Dad walking me out to the bee box.

Holding the smoker. The smoker is used to keep the bees more calm when you are working with them. I think it slows down their flight and therefore they are more calm.
We didn't actually use the smoker but I wanted to take a picture of it for my school kids.

Smiling with the smoker. Justin took my photos this day and he wanted me to smile!
Dad teaching me about how the box works and what to do.
Lifting off the top lid.

Lifting off the second lid. The bees actually put a wax capping over this lid so that it stays pretty well shut tight. Bees always get smashed when you put this lid back on. However, there are about 10,000 bees in this hive so it's not really a big deal if you loose one!

You can see the bees now.
A close-up of the bees.
Each of those wooden slats has been turned into a honey-comb with waxed cells created by the bees. Yes, they've been quite busy!
Dad lifting up one of the slats. You can see the honey-comb shaped wax if you look really closely.

Comments

Unknown said…
Way to face your fears! It actually looks really interesting although still kinda scary.
Jessica said…
I couldn't belive you did that when I saw your post! That's way cool Jen! I have not even gone out there and seen Dad's bee project yet.
The McNews said…
That is really really neat! Of course working in preschool we don't get into all of that (sounds like fun though) but I know Cam will find this "very interesting." You are one brave Momma I'd have to say.
joyous said…
Super cool!! You are one dedicated teacher. I also have a great fear of bees. (Same thing, got stung when I was young and it swelled up huge!) I'm impressed by your bravery. I hope you got some honey to enjoy too.
Steph said…
Wow Jen! You are a lot braver than I would be. That's awesome though! I'm sure seeing all those bees was incredible!
Grandpa said…
Jen,
I am proud of you too. I couldn't believe you were that anxious to go see the bees. It's not as scary after a few times of going out there. I like to go out in the morning when they are most calm. We won't harvest the honey till about August. Still learning, but it's fun.
Dad

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival

Happy 2nd Birthday, Ryan!