I'm a Mormon

Colin and I spoke in our new ward today.  Our ward has been focusing a lot of time on the "I'm a Mormon" campaign.  We've had a few meetings dedicated to people sharing their life stories with the congregation.  You can check out some really cool videos of other people sharing their stories as well at Mormon.org/people  I wish Colin had typed his story out because he did such an amazing job today.  I think he said some things that even I did not know about him.  I love when he shares his testimony.  He's had an amazing life full of wonderful and interesting experiences.  Maybe I can convince him to type it up; I'm not sure if he'll let me post it though.


Anyway, here's my story/talk:


As a descendant of Mormon pioneers, I was raised a Mormon. Brought up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints, I learned the gospel of Jesus Christ as a young child. I was baptized at the age of eight and confirmed a member of the church. Raised in southern California, The San Diego temple was built in my youth. As we took friends and family to visit the open house, I realized I’d be taking part in something far more important, the dedication of the temple. I knew I had to decide for myself if the church was true. I signed a pact that I’d someday marry in the temple. My signature was encapsulated in the cornerstone of that temple. As we practiced the hymn so many times, I was surprised when I was overcome with emotion as I sang the words, “The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning”. That spirit was burning within me and I was scarcely able to complete the song. I had the overwhelming feeling that I KNEW this church was true.

A short year later, my family moved to Salt Lake where I found myself busily involved in the Young Women program. I was called to serve on the stake youth conference board. I worked closely with the Stake President in preparing our youth for the event. Two years later, I received my patriarchal blessing from that same man who had then been set apart as our Stake Patriarch. Before he gave me the blessing, he asked me if I had plans to serve a mission. I told him I was unsure. During my blessing, there was no mention of a mission. Afterward, he mentioned a mission again. He counseled me that if I did not serve a full-time mission, that I should prepare as though I’d serve.

 In my time at BYU, I met my future husband during our Freshman year. As he began to prepare for HIS mission, I prepared right alongside him. While he was gone, I went on a study abroad course to the Dominican Republic where I carefully studied the gospel. I was called to serve as the gospel doctrine teacher in a new ward, in a language I barely knew. I’d sit on my bed with the English scriptures open in one hand and the Spanish in the other. It was a humbling experience to teach the adults gospel doctrine at such a young age and with a minimal command for the language. I had the opportunity while there to meet President Eyring. I shared the gospel with my host family and many friends I made while there in the Dominican Republic. My testimony of the church was growing stronger and gaining purpose.

While Colin was serving in Taiwan, I wrote to him often. I began considering taking out my endowments early. He encouraged me to wait. One week after my Junior year at BYU culminated, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Today is actually the anniversary of that diagnosis. Being diagnosed as an adult with a disease that children typically get was interesting because most of the education process was left up to me. The doctors and nurses assumed I’d figure it out on my own. I basically did. I learned to give myself shots, test my blood sugar and make adjustments to my insulin, diet, exercise, and other routines which come so easily to most people. Diabetes has changed my life in many ways. It’s very challenging at times. It’s annoying, it’s embarrassing, it’s cumbersome, and it can be down-right frustrating. However, I’ve learned so much from it, gained so many new experiences, and mostly have learned how to be a healthier person through having it.



 In light of my diagnosis with diabetes, I decided to hold off on my mission papers. Colin and I married a year after he returned in the Jordan River Temple. By the time we married, I had been preparing for my endowments for over a year. I’ll never forget the feelings I had when I saw Colin in the Celestial Room for the first time. I was once again overcome with a burning spirit, a confirmation that this Church is true. My name is Jennifer Dean. I’m a wife, I’m a mother of two wonderful boys, I’m a teacher, I’m a type 1 diabetic, I love exercise and photography. And I’m a Mormon.

Comments

joyous said…
Love it!! Thanks for sharing and posting. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival