Diabetes Awareness Month

November is Diabetes Awareness Month.  I want to be more involved than I was last year, and build on that each year.  I've participated in the National Blogging Month NaBoPoMo challenge on my family blog before.  I doubt I'll be able to blog all 30 days but if you think that you can blog about your health each month, here's a place where you can receive a prompt.  I'm going to give it a shot.  I'll see how close I get.  Maybe I'll commit to one per week.  

Diabetes is an illness which affects almost 26 million people globally.  I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 2001.  It's a challenge in my every day life.  It is manageable, but there is so much more which can be done.  In an effort to raise awareness (this is Diabetes AWARENESS month after all) I've decided to point you in the direction of a few ways you too can participate.  

Firstly, you can log a Big Blue Test here.  You test your blood sugar, exercise and test again.  Each time you log a test, a donation is made to help those with diabetes.  





Secondly, this one is really cool, you can pretend to have diabetes for a day.  I hope all of my friends and family will do this one.  The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is launching a program for you to receive text message alerts throughout a 24 hour period.  So that you too, can see what it takes to manage diabetes, for JUST one day!  Go here.  

Third, if you're wondering what the blue circle is, you should check out this website by the International Diabetes Foundation.  


You can sign up for a postcard exchange here. 



 You can always make a donation to the American Diabetes Association, JDRF, or IDF.  Or, request a free medical bracelet here

And last, but not least, you can wear blue every Friday throughout the month of November, and on Diabetes Awareness day- November 14th.  
Anything you can do will help!  

Comments

grandmadonna said…
I will commit to wearing blue every Friday, I know how difficult this disease is to manage, you do a wonderful job!

Popular posts from this blog

Spode Dish Factory

Baby Evan Makes his Arrival